Posts for tag: Fungal Toenails
How your podiatrists in Bozeman, MT, can help with fungal toenails
Are you embarrassed to bare your feet because of toenail fungus? Are your dark, crumbly toenails affecting your ability to wear sandals? If you are struggling with fungal toenails, there is good news. Your podiatrist can help.
Dr. Dallin Greene and Dr. Nathan Judd at Big Sky Foot and Ankle Institute offer a wide range of footcare services, including effective treatments for toenail fungus. They have two convenient office locations in Bozeman, and Butte, Montana to help you and your feet.
Toenail fungus, also known as onychomycosis, begins as a small white or yellow spot underneath your toenail. It becomes larger as it burrows deeper into your nail bed. Debris builds up around the fungus, causing your toenail to turn dark, and become thick and crumbly.
It’s easy to get toenail fungus because it thrives in warm, moist environments. That’s why public pools, gyms, showers, and other public areas where you go barefoot are easy places to acquire toenail fungus. You can also spread toenail fungus, so never share shoes, socks, or towels with others.
There are some easy home remedies you can try to get relief from toenail fungus. Consider:
- Thinning and trimming your toenails to reduce pressure
- Applying over-the-counter anti-fungal creams to your toe and under your nail
- Applying Vicks VapoRub to your toe and underneath your toenail
For stubborn, moderate to severe toenail fungus, it’s best to seek out your foot doctor. There are several effective professional treatments for fungal toenail. Your podiatrist may recommend:
- Prescription strength oral and topical anti-fungal medications to help you grow a healthy toenail
- Medicated nail cream or polish to kill the underlying fungus
- Surgical treatment to remove the infected nail so you can grow a healthy nail
- Laser or light therapy to kill the underlying fungus
Don’t be embarrassed by fungal toenails! Clear up the fungus with help from your foot doctor. To find out more about fungal toenail treatment and other footcare services, call Dr. Dallin Greene and Dr. Nathan Judd at Big Sky Foot and Ankle Institute, with offices in Bozeman, and Butte, Montana. Call now!