How your podiatrists in Bozeman, and Butte, MT, can help with an ingrown toenail
If you’ve ever had an ingrown toenail, you know how painful it can be. The constant throbbing can make it difficult to put on shoes and walk comfortably. Fortunately, your podiatrist is an expert at treating ingrown toenails, so you can get back on your feet.
Dr. Dallin Greene and Dr. Nathan Judd at Big Sky Foot & Ankle Institute provide a wide range of podiatry services, including treatment of ingrown toenails. They have two convenient office locations in Bozeman, and Butte, MT, to help you.
An ingrown toenail is a toenail that has grown downward into your skin. The ingrown toenail embeds into your skin, causing:
You are at greater risk of developing an ingrown toenail if you have toenails that naturally curve under. Other factors that can cause an ingrown toenail include:
- Damage to your toenails
- Cutting your toenails too short
- Wearing shoes without enough toe room
You can do a lot to prevent ingrown toenails if you:
- Avoid cutting your toenails too short
- Cut your toenails straight across with no rounded corners
- Always wear protective, supportive shoes that protect your feet
- Always wear shoes with plenty of room for your toes
- Avoid wearing shoes with a narrow toe box
You can try a few simple steps at home to get relief from an ingrown toenail. Remember to:
- Soak your toe in warm water three times daily
- Place a small piece of dental floss underneath your toenail to push it above your skin
- Apply antibiotic cream and bandage your ingrown toenail
Your podiatrist can treat an ingrown toenail so you can get permanent relief. There are several treatment options your podiatrist may recommend, including:
- Lifting and separating the toenail from the skin around it
- Trimming off the ingrown part of your nail
- Removing the toenail completely, so a new, healthy toenail can grow
To find out more about the causes and treatment of ingrown toenails, call Dr. Dallin Greene and Dr. Nathan Judd at Big Sky Foot & Ankle Institute. You can reach them in either the Bozeman, MT, or Butte, MT, locations by calling (406) 782-2278, so call today.